I have been craving my mom's stuffed peppers for weeks. Finally I decided I would make some myself. But I did not want the typical ground meat and rice variety so I chose to use chicken and bulgur instead. Then I thought I would try Spanish/Mexican flavors.
So I basically made Spanish Bulgur (instead of spanish rice). Then I cooked some chicken in taco seasoning. Added in some of my favorite mexican add ins and stuffed some peppers!
They turned out beautiful and delicious. Also, very low in calories. Approximately 200 per pepper half.
I love things that have lots of veggies and cheese and grains. The stuffing for this is actually something I would eat even outside of the pepper. In fact, there was some 'stuffing' left over that I plan to have for lunch tomorrow.
Spanish Bulgur Chicken Stuffed Peppers:
3 large bell peppers (which ever color you prefer)
1 white onion chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 cup bulgur
1 chicken bouillon cube
1.5 cup water
1 can crushed tomatoes
Half red bell pepper cubed
1/2 can black beans
1/2 can corn
1 avocado cubed
1 large chicken breast cubed, small pieces
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
Red chili flake
3/4 cup Shredded cheese of your choice (jack or cheddar would be great)
Optional: Salsa and sour cream
1. Set oven to 400 degrees F. Coat baking pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil. Cut the 3 large bell peppers in half, remove seeds and place in pan. Set aside.
2. In a large frying pan add a tablespoon of oil and cook the onion until translucent, (about 5 minutes) Add the garlic and bulgur and stir while cooking for about 5 minutes. Then add water, bullion cube, red bell pepper and crushed tomato. Stir well and leave to simmer about 15 minutes or until bulgur is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed. (Note: if the liquid is absorbed before the bulgur is cooked, add some water and continue to simmer)
3. Transfer bulgur to bowl. Fry the chicken with taco seasoning until cooked all the way. Add chicken to bowl of bulgur.
4. Add avocado, beans, corn, and feta. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste. Mix everything and add to the halved bell peppers.
5. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes or until bell peppers are cooked (soft). Then remove foil, sprinkle on shredded cheese and return to the over for five minutes. Serve.
Optional: Serve with salsa and sour cream. ( I would have but I did not have any on hand)