Tuesday 18 December 2012

Flygande Jakob (Flying Jacob)


Flygande Jakob

This wonderful dish is one of my favorite Swedish meals. You are going to have to trust me on this because the ingredients sound terrible. This meal includes bananas, chicken, peanuts, cream, and a few other things that don't seem to go well together.

 The first time I lived in Sweden my roommate (now my boyfriend) brought me a spoonful of this Flygande Jakob and when I asked what it was, he made me wish I hadn't. I took the bite and was so freaked out by the ingredients, I did not give it a chance. After we had been dating for a while he decided to make it again and I happily and reluctantly gave it a real chance. Boy am I glad I did!

I have also given a popular pizza a chance and it became my favorite pizza in the world! This pizza has tomato sauce, curry, chicken, bananas, cheese, and peanuts. SO GOOD!



Okay, back to Flygande Jakob! If you trust me enough to give this a try, here is the recipe :) (For more proof that this is tasty, I gave the recipe to a fellow American and she also liked it)

Ingredients:

1.5 Cups Cream (you can used anything from whipping cream to full fat milk. I use half and half)
.5 Cup Asian Sweet Chili Sauce
2 Medium Bananas (sliced)
1 Small-Medium Rotisserie Chicken
1 Package Bacon 
1/3 Cup Salted Peanuts
Shredded cheese (optional)
Serve with your choice of rice or asian noodles! (I love noodles, so that is my choice)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 ° F.

Take the chicken off of the bones and place in a baking dish.

Fry the bacon in a frying pan until crisp. When done take out of the pan and place on paper towel to soak up some of the grease.

Mix together the cream and sweet chili sauce. Add the bananas and peanuts. When the bacon has cooled, crumble the bacon into the mixture. Stir gently and then pour into the baking dish over the chicken. If you choose to add the cheese, sprinkle on top. Place in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until it bubbles.







While it is in the oven, prepare the rice or noodles. When everything is finished, place the noodles or rice on a plate and spoon the Flygande Jacob on top. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment